Entry to Germany

Are you a non-EU-citizen wishing to visit Germany and the Schengen states? Then you need a valid visa.

Depending on the type of visa, different requirements, conditions, and dates must be met. We give you an overview of the most significant visas and residence permits, as well as step-by-step instructions on how to apply for a Schengen visa (up to 90 days) and a German residence visa (for work or study in Germany or to stay longer than 90 days in Germany for other purposes).

Learn more about the most common types of visas

Schengen Visa

This is the perfect visa type for you if you wish to visit Germany for cultural, business, or other purposes and want to stay for less than 90 days.

Work Visa

Learn more about the German work visa if you wish to live, work, and later settle permanently in Germany.

Student Visa

A student visa is required if you wish to study at a German institution or complete an apprenticeship in Germany.

Find out about visa requirements and application process

What type of visa must you apply for? Do you require a work permit or a student/work visa? All of the answers to these questions have been compiled.

We also provide extensive details for each category:

Schengen Visa ·  An intended stay in the territory of the Schengen States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180 days period (“short stay visa”)
·  A transit through the international transit areas of airports of the Schengen States (“airport transit visa”)
Work Visa· EU Blue Card
·  Skilled Workers holding a university degree
·  Skilled Workers with vocational training
·  Skilled Workers seeking employment
·  IT Specialists with professional experience
·  Au Pair
Student Visa ·  Bachelor or Master Study
·  PhD Study
·  Apprenticeship (Ausbildung)
Language Course Visa·  An intensive language course lasting 3-12 months.
·  The courses the visa applicants are expected to complete shall contain a minimum of 18 hours of lessons each week.
Family Reunion Visa·  Family Reunion with a German Spouse/Child
·  Family Reunion with a Foreign Spouse/Child
Research Visa·  This includes doctorate students unless they are enrolled at a German university to complete a full-time study programme leading to a doctoral degree as their primary activity.

💡 Do you know that our AZAPA visa service team can assist you with visa application processes?

Our government-licensed Schengen and National Visa Service consultants are experts in German visa requirements and are up to date on the most recent criteria. We will provide you with the greatest possible assistance, and if you desire it, we will manage the full visa application process for you. Do you want to schedule a consultation? Now is the time to schedule a visa consultation with us.

Please select one option from each square above
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. View more