Permanent Residence Permit

The Permanent Residence Permit

To be able to reside in Germany indefinitely, you must first obtain a German permanent residence permit. A permanent residence permit is also known as a “Settlement Permit”, or “Niederlassungserlaubnis” in German. You can work in Germany and travel in and out whenever you like with a permanent residency visa.

People who have held a temporary residence permit for a few years or who have the EU Blue Card are most likely to be granted this permission. They must show that they have worked for at least five years, that their position was approved by the Federal Employment Agency, and that they have paid all required taxes and contributions to the government. Furthermore, because the German language competence standards are more demanding, you will need to know advanced German.

This will be replaced by a photo of Permanent Residence Permit

Your children and spouse are welcome to join you if you obtain a permanent residency permit. They will first be granted a temporary residence permit, which will be followed by a permanent residency permit after a few years.

After 33 months as an EU Blue Card holder, you can apply for a settlement permit. If you know German well enough, you may be able to reduce the length of time to 21 months. This page outlines the conditions that must be met in order for a settlement permission to be granted, as well as the paperwork that must be submitted.


1. Holder of an EU Blue Card for 33 or 21 months

You’ve had your EU Blue Card for 33 months now. In this instance, you must not only have a residence visa, but your employment must also match the EU Blue Card (salary threshold) standards for the duration of your stay.

Do you have a sufficient command of the German language (B1 level)? Being an EU Blue Card holder for 21 months is sufficient in this case.

2. Retirement provision

You have made at least 33 months of mandatory contributions to the statutory pension insurance plan.

Do you have a sufficient command of the German language (B1 level)? 21 months of mandatory contributions to the statutory pension insurance program are sufficient in this case.

3. Covering living expenses

You can support yourself and your family without relying on government assistance. This implies you are not eligible for government benefits such as those provided by the Job Centre.

4. Basic knowledge of the legal and social systems

You have a fundamental understanding of Germany’s legal and social systems, as well as living situations. Passing the “Living in Germany” or citizenship test will prove this.

5. Adequate living space

You and your family have sufficient living space. This is usually the case if each family member above the age of six has access to 12 square meters of living space (excluding the kitchen, bathroom, and toilet). A living space of 10 sqm is sufficient for minors under the age of six.

6. No criminal offences

In Germany, you must not conduct any criminal offenses. Even fines may be used to prohibit the issuing of a settlement permit in this case.

7. Health insurance

You and your family must be covered by adequate health insurance. If you have statutory health insurance or similar private health insurance, this is the case.

8. Basic knowledge of German

You have a basic understanding of German that corresponds to level A1.

Documents Required for permanent residence permit

  • Your valid passport
  • A current passport photo
  • A completed application form
  • Employment contract
  • Current salary statements
  • Tenancy agreement (and current rent certificate, if available)
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of compulsory contributions to the statutory pension insurance scheme
  • B1 certificate or A1 certificate
  • “Living in Germany” test or citizenship test
  • Fee: 113.00 €

Further documents may be required in individual cases.

Information from

Stadt Münster: Rechts- und Ausländeramt

EU Blue Card Germany – Germany Visa

💡 Do you know that our AZAPA visa service team can assist you with the Permanent Residence Permit Application process?

Our government-licensed Schengen and National Visa Service consultants are experts in German visa requirements and are up to date on the most recent criteria. We will provide you with the greatest possible assistance, and if you desire it, we will manage the full visa application process for you. Do you want to schedule a consultation? Now is the time to schedule a visa consultation with us.

Please select one option from each square above
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. View more